Countertop (Combined Contactless Reader) Terminal
- The fast, convenient way to accept credit and debit card payments
- Compact design
- Increased security, with immediate authorisation and authentication of payments
- Accept speedy contactless card payments of £20 or under
About this terminal
Convenience and security for you and your customers
Key features of our Countertop (Combined Contactless Reader) terminal
- Compact design for clutter-free counter tops - try them for size
- Terminal can work over a standard dial up telephone line or over a broadband connection
- Connecting over broadband means a single connection (even for multiple terminals) and faster transaction processing, without the need for a dedicated phone line.
- Separate combined reader provide cardholder accessibility
- Ergonomic keypad for ease of input
- Contactless Card payments of £20 and under, help eliminate queues for you and your customer as transactions are processed in less than a second
- Process transactions including sales, refunds, gratuities, cash back, pre-authorisation, mobile phone top ups and Prepaid solutions
- Accepts all major credit and debit cards
- Improved cash-flow, with transactions paid into your account in 3-4 working days
- Easy self-installation
- A thermal printer
- Colour graphic display
- Detailed monthly statements
All our PDQ terminals
- Allow you to increase revenue with add-on services like Mobile Phone Top Up, gift cards and Transax cheque guarantee services.
Contactless enables your customers to make payments up to £20 without having to enter their PIN. They simply wave their contactless-enabled cards in front of the contactless reader on your terminal and the payment is taken instantly and securely.
- No physical contact with the terminal.
- No need for customers to enter a PIN¹.
- No need for authorisation or receipts².
There are now 22.5 million contactless cards in circulation - over 17.2 million issued by Barclays Group alone³.
How contactless works
Our contactless solutions can be either standalone or integrated into your existing point-of-sale solution. Payments are usually authorised instantly, just like any other card transaction, only faster but just as securely.
- Process your goods as usual
- If the value is up to £20, prompt your customer to pay using their contactless card
- Customer holds their contactless card near the terminal/reader (no physical contact is needed)
- The terminal/reader signals that the card has been read and the transaction is approved.
Benefits of contactless
The benefits of contactless for you and your customers
Strength in numbers
- 77%¹ reduction in queuing time
- 70%¹ of people will walk away when the queue is too long
- 25%¹ faster than cash
- 14%² of users choose merchants because of their contactless facility
Improved cash management
- Less cash to handle, with transactions paid into your bank account
Safe and sound
- Less cash to handle means lower security risks and a full audit trail to track transactions
No fraudulent chargebacks
- Guaranteed payment for contactless transactions processed in accordance with scheme rule
² 2008 US MasterCard PayPass Benchmark Study.
Why choose Barclaycard?
Barclaycard has been at the forefront of contactless technology ever since the launch of the first cards in 2007, winning two awards at the UK 2008 Card Awards - Best Innovation and Best Technology Initiative of the Year. We also won the Channel Award for contactless in the 2010 European Card Acquiring Forum Awards.
We're continuing to lead the way and in May 2011, together with Orange, launched Quick Tap - the UK's first contactless mobile phone payments service. It allows consumers to make purchases on the high street using their mobile phone.
- A choice of terminals, from portable to desk-top solutions
- Integration with your own EPOS solution and implementation support
- Best practice recommendations
- Professional marketing materials and expertise to help you promote the benefits to your customers
- Expert help and advice
In good company
EAT. The Real Food Company
"Too often we'd seen potential customers leave the store because the queue was too long. We were keen to put a stop to this."
"The advice and assistance we received from Barclaycard in both the development and implementation processes was second to none. In addition, once the technology was ready for installation, Barclaycard provided thorough training for our staff."
Head of IT, EAT
Read the full case study PDF (1.72 MB)