Protecting you and your card(s)
Keeping your financial and personal information secure is our highest priority. That's why we use some of the most advanced technology and processes available to help prevent fraud.
- Barclaycard operates a fraud detection system which monitors your account for unusual or suspicious spending patterns, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If we spot something unusual or it looks like someone else is using your card(s) details, we'll contact you as soon as possible to check if the purchase is genuine
- We may call you using our latest automated customer contact technology where the voice you hear will be computer generated or we may contact you via text message. If you recognise the transaction, follow the instruction to confirm it and then continue using your card(s) as usual. If you don't recognise the transaction, we will transfer you to a fraud representative who will help you or where we have sent you a text, we'll safeguard your account and attempt to call you as soon as possible
- If we're unable to reach you, we'll apply a safeguard to your account and write to you asking that you contact us as soon as possible. We'll ask for extra security information to ensure the card has not fallen into the wrong hands
- Rest assured if we're not completely satisfied, then we won't authorise the transaction. Should this occur, then you'll need to call our helpline number, which can be found on the back of your card. Our helpline is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
Fraud Protection Guarantee
Remember, you are financially protected against credit card fraud, as long as you have notified us as soon as possible of any fraudulent transactions, and have taken all the reasonable precautions as outlined in your account terms and conditions.
Using your card(s)
- Treat your cards like cash and never let them out of your sight when paying in shops or restaurants, as they could be copied or cloned
- If a cash machine looks like it's been tampered with, use a different one
- Always keep your receipts and dispose of them by shredding
- Keep the information we have for you up to date. If you change your phone number or address, let us know as soon as you can, so we can contact you if we need to check anything
- Make a note of our lost and stolen emergency number +44 1604 230230.
Looking after your card(s)
- Keep it somewhere safe - in a zipped pocket in your handbag or purse, or in a pocket in your wallet. don't leave it where it can easily be spotted
- Don't let anyone else use your credit card(s)
- Only carry the cards you need and avoid leaving them unattended.
- If you lose your card(s) or if it's stolen then tell us straightaway
- Sign your new card(s) as soon as you receive it and destroy old cards by cutting through the chip and magnetic strip.
Keeping your PIN safe
Don't write your PIN down or tell anyone what it is. If you change it to something easier to remember make sure it's not an obvious one that people could guess. You'll never be asked for your PIN when making a mail order or internet transaction, only the 3 digit security number on the signature panel on the reverse of the card.
Barclaycard Secure - added protection
For extra security when shopping online, register for Barclaycard Secure. This uses the latest technology from Verified by Visa and MasterCard Secure Code, to protect your card(s) against unauthorized use.