What criteria do I need to meet to apply for my first credit card?
When you apply for a credit card, there are a few things that the company will check to see if you meet their criteria. This is unique for each credit card company, but to make life easier, you’ll find some of the things you need to know specifically when applying for a Barclaycard below.
To apply for your first credit card you need to:
- be over 18
- be earning over £3,000 a year
- be in employment
- have not been made bankrupt in the last six years – including having an Individual Voluntary Arrangement or Debt Relief Order
- have less than one outstanding County Court Judgement (CCJ’s) in the last six years
- have proof of address if you’ve moved house recently
- have not recently missed a bill payment
And remember – if you already have a high amount of debt (for example, loans or other credit cards) companies will consider whether you can afford to take on more debt.
Watch Carly explain to Maya about applying for her first credit card
Viewing time: 1.38