How to make a complaint

Making a complaint - images

Making a complaint

We always try to provide you with the best service possible. However, occasionally we may not live up to your expectations.

If you feel our service could have been better, we'd really like to know so we can make sure it doesn't happen again – either to you or to anyone else.

How to make a complaint

You can contact us by phone, fax or by sending us a secure message through Barclaycard online servicing whichever is most convenient.

Call us:

0800 151 0900 or 0333 200 9090

Our customer services team is on call 24 hours a day and always happy to help. call charge information 

Send us a secure message online;

Just register or log in to online account services and send us a message by selecting 'Secure Messages' which you'll find under 'Help and Support' in the main menu at the top of the page. To help us resolve your complaint as quickly as possible, please read the "What we need from you" section first.

Register now or log in to your Barclaycard account 

Fax us your complaint:

+44 (0)1604 254 152

Or write to us;

PO Box 10200
LE18 9ER

Claims management company (CMC)

You can use a CMC but they may charge an up-front fee or take a proportion of any payment you may be due. Claims are dealt with in exactly the same way whether they are made by a customer or CMC. They will not be dealt with any quicker by using a CMC. For independent guidance on how CMCs work, visit the  Which? website  .

For PPI specific complaints, please go to the PPI page.

What we need from you

To help us resolve your complaint as quickly as possible, please can you include the following information:

  1. Your name and address

  2. A daytime phone number we can contact you on

  3. Your Barclaycard account number

  4. Any relevant reference numbers

  5. A description of your concern or complaint

  6. What you would like us to do to put things right

What to expect when you get in touch by secure message

If you send us a message from ‘Your Messages’, we’ll send a response back to the same inbox within 24 hours. We’ll also send you an email alert to let you know that we’ve replied, providing we have your email address and you’ve chosen to receive an email notification.

You’ll be aware of our response more quickly if you choose to receive email notifications, so we recommend you select this option. To update your email address log in to Barclaycard online servicing select ‘Your details' and update in ‘Contact details’.

One of our agents will also try to contact you by phone within 24 hours to discuss your complaint and our response, to make sure we’ve resolved it to your complete satisfaction – unless you have already informed us that your complaint has been fully resolved.

If we’ve responded satisfactorily, and your complaint has now been resolved, please let us know by clicking the ‘Accept’ button next to our message. If this isn’t the case, then click ‘Do not accept’ and let us know what more we can do to resolve the issue.

If we don’t hear from you to confirm whether our reply has completely resolved the complaint for you, your case will be referred to our Customer Relations department for review.

What you can expect from us if your complaint is referred to the Customer Relations department

Once we receive your complaint, we'll try to resolve it as quickly as we can. If it takes a little longer than expected, we'll:

  • send you a letter to tell you that we've received your complaint
  • give you the contact details of the person who's dealing with your complaint
  • keep you up to date with any progress we make
  • send you an update if your complaint's not resolved within four weeks, and tell you when we expect to finish our investigations
  • contact you with a final response after eight weeks if it's still not resolved, or send you a status report

Financial Ombudsman – there to help you

What is the Financial Ombudsman?

The Financial Ombudsman Service is a free, independent body, set up by the Government, to resolve disputes between customers and companies in the UK.

By law, regulated firms, such as credit card companies, must ‘treat customers fairly’, so when they don’t, the Financial Ombudsman Service has legal power to act on your behalf and can order companies to not only pay you compensation, but to reimburse you for your time, too.
If we’ve rejected your claim and you think we’ve dealt with it unfairly, you can contact the Financial Ombudsman Service to make a complaint and get a second opinion. Even if they decide you don’t have a case, it’s a free service, so you won’t be out of pocket.

How do I contact the Financial Ombudsman?

Before you contact the Financial Ombudsman, please get in touch with us to see if we can put things right for you.
If you’re unhappy with the outcome, you can contact the Financial Ombudsman.

If you don’t want to contact the Financial Ombudsman Service yourself

Made a complaint that we can’t resolve to your satisfaction? If it’s about one of our products or services you bought online, the Online Dispute Resolution (ODR) regulation may be able to help.

The ODR platform was set up by the European Commission. It helps customers in the EU who have bought goods or services online from traders established in the EU and haven’t been able to get their complaint resolved.

You can make a complaint to the ODR if you’re an EU resident and you entered into your credit card agreement with us online. You’ll need:

To make a complaint, you can fill out a form by visiting their website at

The ODR platform will then forward your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service for an independent review.