I usually pay the balance on my account in full by Direct Debit. What happens if I've requested a balance transfer or cash transfer?

If you currently pay your account in full by Direct Debit, you may want to update your account to pay either the minimum payment, or another regular amount. Otherwise, the Direct Debit will collect the full amount outstanding on your account (including the balance transfer or cash transferred to your bank account).

You can amend your Direct Debit by logging into your Barclaycard online servicing and selecting 'Direct Debit' under 'Payments' in the main menu.

Log in or register for Barclaycard online servicing.

If you prefer, you can get in touch with our Customer Services Team, they'll be able to amend your Direct Debit for you. You can also contact out Customer Services Team by using the 'Call us' feature in your Barclaycard app. Call charges may apply.